Renting a cheap car is the best way to discover a destination at your own pace and at your own pace. The car rental industry is developing rapidly, and you can already rent a vehicle almost anywhere in the world for a few days. Not just in France, Spain, Morocco, and Ireland, but even overseas in Australia, America, United Kingdom and New Zealand, where the spectacular natural beauty makes you want to stop at every turn, making public transportation useless. Because of all the car rental options, choosing a travel companion more carefully becomes a case of thorough research. As a result of dealing with it for my own travels, I leave you a detailed guide for you to follow:
Car rental companies
Car rental markets have become more and more competitive in recent years, and new Car rental Companies have appeared that complement the already great selection. You can choose the duration of your car rental as per your need, you can lease a car for short term, for 3 month, for 6 month or for long term also
We can basically divide them into three categories:
- Large international companies : Large car rental companies have fleets that cover almost all types of models and offices all over the world. They are chosen by many clients because of their years on the market, large infrastructures, and the ability to serve clients in a multitude of languages. Hertz, Avis, Sixt, and Europcar are a few of the most prominent.
- Low-cost companies: Usually, low-cost car rental companies offer cheap rental cars, but they also offer inferior benefits and services. However, some of them are also large corporations that invoice large amounts yearly and have large fleets of cars.
- Local companies : Local companies face greater competition, but some are still able to survive with dignity despite the aforementioned difficulties. Most people use them either to learn about the area beforehand or last-minute renters.
When to rent the car
- We can get better deals on car rentals if we compare prices, benefits, and more early on, as is common in so many other aspects of travel. In places with great tourist reputations, renting a car is especially difficult. As a result, if you wait until the last minute, or if you do it in person, you will have to pay up to 50% more than you would have if you had acted sooner.
- In high season, rental car prices usually skyrocket by more than considerable percentages, so it’s best to avoid making reservations then.
By what means to rent a car
The internet is still the most popular medium, although there is still a minority of customers who use the telephone to reserve. Alternatively, people can make reservations directly at an airport office, but the practice is eroding as time passes. There are a lot of websites today that offer car rental comparisons, and travelers rely on them the most. Travelers can interact with and choose from a variety of companies based on their specific interests here.
Rental Cars is one of the ones we have been testing over time. Since it collaborates with more than 1000 car rental companies (large, small, and local), it offers rent-a-car in almost any destination on the planet and is the largest in the market. It has been a while since we rented from them, and I have decided not to look anywhere else. For us, it has always worked well and smoothly.
Tips to keep in mind to assess the different car rental offers
When we are going to rent a car for our trip there are many factors that we must take into account. Comparing prices between companies isn’t as easy as simply comparing them. Additionally, there are other benefits that we must take into consideration, and the price obtained on the internet is not always the one we will end up paying at the time of signing the contract at the desk of the rental company.
Car rental insurance
The issue of insurance when renting a car is a whole world .
- Most companies that offer insurance on the Internet do not cover a lot of things in the price that they offer. In case of any other contingency, an amount for the franchise will be frozen on your credit card.
- If you wish to avoid these excesses, you can take out additional insurance (which will greatly increase the rental price of the car) or eliminate them with a daily payment through which the car rental companies will cover them in case of an accident.
- Make sure you carefully read the contract conditions in all of these situations. There is a classic saying: “Insurers never lose.”
Fuel policies in your car rental
- The past was characterized by the same fuel policy for all rental companies: you received your car with a full gas tank and you had to return it the same way. In that case, they did not charge you anything.
- Today, many people use prepaid cards. Gasoline is an additional charge when renting a car. You will be refunded the money equivalent to the unused gasoline when you return it if you haven’t used the entire tank. Due to this practice, you’re paying more than market prices for fuel, when the tank you’re buying is sold for less than the fuel it contains.
- If you want to rent a car, we recommend that you deal with companies that offer full-full rates. When returning the rental car before flying, make sure you account for the time it will take you to fill up the tank, the time it will take the company to revise the vehicle and the time it will take to get you to the airport (some offices are very far away from the airport). You will be charged for the amount you didn’t put in at stratospheric prices if you don’t have time to put in gas.
Pick up and drop off locations for your rental car
More and more car rental companies are opening offices in central areas of cities or near train and bus stations instead of airports. You can compare different car rental locations within the same city to find a better deal. A significant surcharge is sometimes added to some of them, causing the final price to be substantially more expensive. Finding out the cost of returning the car to a different office if you pick it up at one and return it to another office is important. Although almost always you are charged an additional fee, I found a few car and motorhome rental companies that offered free vehicle transport between locations in Australia and New Zealand. Rather than being paid in cash, you receive payment in kind for the service you perform.
What kind of car do I need?
When choosing between the different rental car offers you must be clear about what you are looking for .
- When traveling as a couple with little luggage, the cheapest models are often the smallest, but it may be enough if you do not have much luggage.
- You’ll have to pay a bit more and get a larger vehicle if you’re traveling with a group or family. You can rent high-end vehicles, sports cars, etc. from large car rental companies.
- For those who are not clear about their preferences, it may be best to use price and model comparison sites provided by the different companies.
- Choosing extras when renting a car is also important: baby seats, DVDs, roof racks for carrying sports equipment or more luggage, GPS, or car accessories that are helpful during travelling etc.
- The extras tend to be quite costly, so I recommend using only what is necessary.
- GPS is no longer necessary with modern technology, which incorporates it into all smartphones and tablets.
- Registration of a second driver can be a useful extra service. We usually use it when we are going on a long trip, allowing both drivers to take turns to make it less tiring.
How to pay for car rental
- All rental car companies accept credit cards as payment. With a debit card you will not be able to pay since the credit card remains as a guarantee in case something happens to the vehicle. Some Companies also offer you to Rent a Car with Cash Only No Deposit or Credit card
- There are some companies that offer discounts on the rental price of the car if payment is made at the time of booking. you can also choose some of the rarest companies that Car Rental Companies That Accept Debit Cards without a Credit Check
- In most cases, however, the credit card is not charged until the day you pick up the vehicle. It’s a good idea to go with this option, since most car rental companies allow cancellations without fees up to 48 hours before the rental date
Other appreciations in car rental
- In many cases, car rental companies charge a surcharge if the driver is under the age of 25.
- Mileage is an important factor to consider. Usually, it is unlimited, but it can also be limited in some cases.
- Whenever you cross the border in your rental car, you should also consult with the company.
- The fines must be paid. The fines you get should not be ignored just because the car is not yours. Your credit card will be charged by the rental company.