The third largest Bitcoin address just bought another 478 Bitcoin for roughly $9 million. This brings the anonymous whale’s Bitcoin holdings above 136,000 coins, worth over $2.5 billion.
- Per data from Bitinfocharts, the address holder added 478 Bitcoin to his wallet at 16:05 EST on Tuesday. Each coin was bought at an average price of $18,900, making the total purchase $9,000,187.
- His new balance is 136,382 Bitcoin – worth more than MicroStrategy’s last report numbers of 129,600 Bitcoin. It’s the users’ highest recorded holdings on record and represents 0.7% of the entire Bitcoin supply.
- The whale had been adding Bitcoin to his portfolio throughout August in batches of a few hundred BTC at a time. Tuesday’s purchase marks his first buy in September.
- His timing was fortunate too: Bitcoin dropped below $19,000 for the first time since July, and currently sits at roughly $18,900. By comparison, ETH has considerably outperformed BTC during the bear market, now resting at nearly $1600 apiece.
- The whale has been accumulating since 2019, but still faces a net unrealized loss on his holdings of roughly $550 million.
- Nobody knows who controls the third largest address, but other Bitcoin wallets within the top 5 are controlled by either Binance or Bitfinex. These are major crypto exchanges whose holdings represent tens of thousands of customers.
- No address outside of the top 5 holds over 100,000 coins.